Our highlighted chant this week is "You are our Legion", sang to the tune of "You are my Sunshine."
This chant, while used by a number of supporters groups around the world, has evolved a couple of times in Brigade hands.
For most of the Birmingham Hammers years, the chant lyrics proclaimed "You are my Hammers, my only Hammers" with the other lyrics pretty much unchanged from the original song.
During last year's Hammers swan song, we tweaked the lyrics, replacing "You'll never know dear/How much I love you/You'll never take my Hammers away" with "Although next season/You'll be the Legion/You'll never take my Hammers away." These lyrics commemorated the fact that, while we awaited Legion FC's debut with excitement, we would never forget our roots supporting the original Birmingham Hammers team. The red crossed hammers in our logo are a constant reminder of our history.
Now, as we have fully embraced the Legion era, we have re-worked the words once more, adding a more corporate bent to the lyrics ("our" instead of "my") and customizing the final two lines in a new way, proclaiming our ongoing support for the boys in black and gold.
Learn (or re-familiarize) yourself with the lyrics below and sing along each week, as this will be used during every game, sometimes on multiple occasions.
You are our Legion, our only Legion
You make us happy, when skies are gray (and black and gold!)
We're here each season, and you're the reason
Please don't take our Legion away
Na na na na na (ooh!) Na na na na na (ooh!)
Na na na na naaaa Na na na na (Na na na na!)...
As we approach another home game this Saturday against Swope Park Rangers, it's time to highlight another of our chants to help you learn it before we sing it on Saturday.
After two road wins on the bounce, we still await our first home goal. So, it may come as no surprise that we turn our attention to our front line, most notably our "Native Son" Chandler Hoffman.
When Chandler was announced as Birmingham Legion's first-ever signing, it was something of a (pipe) dream come true. Therefore, we wanted to greet our hometown hero at the event to mark his signing with some chants.
"He's One of Our Own" was a given, but we wanted something a little more unique. With the team coining the "Native Son" nickname, our minds went straight to this classic...
With an eminently chantable guitar riff built-in, that left us the job of reworking the words to the chorus to transform it into an ode to Hoffman's goalscoring abilities.
After a couple of re-workings, we settled on the following, and invite you to join us in singing it loudly and proudly this Saturday in honor of our #9!
Carry on our native son!
There'll be goals when you are done!
Lay defenders down to rest
Oh, Chandler score some goals!
We've even recorded the chant for your reference - click the button below to listen!
We will be starting at Bessie Estelle Park a little later this week - beginning tailgating festivities at 2pm. The park sits behind the BBVA Compass Field complex and is located at 901 8th St S. However, we will be making our way into the pregame plaza once gates open at 5pm to continue our gathering inside the stadium complex.
If you selected pickup (or ordered student membership) when you ordered your 2019 Brigade membership, you can pick up your scarf and membership card at the tailgate.
TAILGATE AT BESSIE ESTELLE BEGINS: 2:00 PM
PREGAME GATHERING IN THE STADIUM PLAZA: 5:00 PM
MARCH TO THE SUPPORTERS SECTION: 6:30 PM
GAME KICKS OFF: 7:00 PM
• Parking is limited in the immediate area around the park so arrive early to secure the best spots
• If you have a Clutch! parking pass you can park in one of the team lots and make the short walk over to the park to join us
FOOD AND DRINK
• Please bring your own beverages, and be prepared to use solo cups
• We welcome all food contributions - hotdogs, burgers, chips, snacks, desserts, soft drinks
• We have a special entry gate at the back of the stadium complex, down the access road that links Bessie Estelle Park and the stadium. While you are welcome to remain back at the park to continue tailgating, we invite you to enter the stadium with us when gates open at 5pm to be a part of our gathering in the pregame plaza. There, we will continue to hang out and practice our chants and songs ahead of kickoff.
• For those of you who joined us at last Sunday's game, you will know that there will a special little surprise awaiting us in the plaza... so join us to enjoy that if you didn't at the first two home games!
AUBURN VS. VIRGINIA
• ICYMI - the Final Four game between Auburn and Virginia will be shown in the pregame plaza before the Legion FC match kicks off so there's no excuse for you Auburn fans not to be there to enjoy the best of both worlds!
MARCH TO THE SUPPORTERS SECTION
• At around 6:30pm, we will gather to march en masse to the supporters section down the pathway behind the goal/in front of the scoreboard at the West end of the stadium.